The upcoming game L.A. Noire is more than just a noire-based detective story. That is part of it, but Rockstar is going to great lengths to introduce gamers to the world of 1940’s Los Angeles—both the good and the bad. Rather than just giving you an overall objective and letting you get to it, the missions in L.A. Noire will be cases to solve, and as you progress and succeed, you will be rewarded with a new assignment that will expose you to new worlds-within-the world.
Beginning as a beat cop, you take control of Cole Phelps, a war veteran looking for a life as a policeman. In the course of your career, you will work your way through five different departments in the force starting with patrol officer, then traffic, homicide, vice and arson. With each case you solve, you will increase your skill set and become a better detective.
Check out the video below detailing some of the progression you will experience, then look for L.A. Noire on the PS3 and Xbox 360 on May 17.
- The 20 best Nintendo Switch games you can buy today
- Stanford’s laser tech could help self-driving cars see around blind corners
- 9 Nintendo Switch games you should play in handheld mode
- ‘Unsolved’ producer worked to find 2Pac and Biggie’s humanity, not their killers
- King’s Cup, anyone? The best games to play with Alexa