Sony once again has found a way to one up Microsoft. After announcing at its Xbox One unveiling in May that it had 15 games in development, eight of which were exclusives, Sony Europe CEO Jim Ryan told Gamereactor that it has 30 PlayStation 4 exclusives in development, 20 of which will arrive in the console’s first year and at least 12 of which are brand new franchises. Some of those currently unannounced PS4 games will be revealed at the German Gamescom convention in August, Ryan hinted.
“I’m sure you heard from [SCE Worldwide Studios boss] Shu [Yoshida] that he has—just his studios—he has 30 games in development,” he said. “Twenty of them are going to ship within the first year of the console’s life, and of those, 12 are new IP. So there’s a lot going on, it’s just that we need to keep stuff back. We’ve got Gamescom for us Europeans—we need to have something to show at Gamescom, don’t we?”
So far if the next-gen console war boils down to numbers then Sony comes out on top with more games and a lower price tag. But there’s plenty of time left for the two companies to continue attempting to outdo one another, and we’re expecting a good show at Gamescom.
- The best gaming laptops you can buy
- Voyage finds the perfect place to test autonomous cars — a retirement village
- Show off your record collection with this DIY storage frame
- Silverplanes jet into the ‘Gulfstream’ of modern listening, one EP at a time
- How new wave legend Nick Heyward transformed his musical doodles into songs