After months of rumor, speculation, and many Bothans dying, we now have official word from Lucasfilm on who will make up the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. The lineup is set, and it’s confirmed on StarWars.com with a photo snapped at the script’s first table read happening today in London. Look at all those faces. Star Wars things are happening!
Here’s the cast, per Lucasfilm: John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow, along with original stars Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker. You’ll note that some of these folks, such as Boyega, Driver, and Isaac, were the subject of previous rumors, while others — Serkis and Sydow — are happy surprises.
One notable absence, however: Billy Dee Williams. Is it time to start the “Bring back Lando!” campaign, or should we wait until Episode VIII?
“We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII,” director J.J. Abrams said in a prepared statement. “It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.”
Here’s a quick rundown of each confirmed actor (other than the original stars), and what you should seek out if you want to see their previous work:
- John Boyega – Known best for his starring role in Attack the Block, Boyega is also set to appear in the 24 series follow-up,
- Daisy Ridley – A relative newcomer compared to the rest of the cast, Ridley appears director Peter Hearn’s 2014 horror flick, Scrawl.
- Adam Driver – Driver is best known for his role as Adam Sackler on HBO’s Girls, but he’s also had notable roles in Lincoln and Inside Llewyn Davis.
- Oscar Isaac – He appeared as Prince John in Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood and joined Driver in the Coen brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis.
- Andy Serkis – Longtime Peter Jackson cohort, Serkis is better known for his voice and physical performances in the role of The Lord of the Rings‘ Gollum and as Caesar the intelligent ape in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
- Domhnall Gleeson – Geek flag-waving readers will no doubt recognize Gleeson as the Harry Potter series’ Bill Weasley.
- Max von Sydow – The elder statesman of the new cast, von Sydow has had notable roles in Dune, Conan the Barbarian, Ghostbusters II, Judge Dredd, and a whole mess of others.
Lucasfilm did not announce who the new actors will be playing. Star Wars: Episode VII hits theaters on December 18, 2015.
- Respawn’s most exciting upcoming project isn’t Star Wars
- Three new Star Wars games are in the works from Respawn
- Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga gets release date
- Everything we know about Star Wars Eclipse
- The best Star Wars games on PC