Super Mario Party is one of those go-to multiplayer games on Switch. With 84 total minigames, as well as 20 playable characters, several game modes, and four unique boards, there’s plenty to keep your group entertained in this great Switch game. However, you won’t have access to everything right away. In this guide, we’re going to show you how to unlock characters, new modes, boards, and more in Super Mario Party.
Super Mario Party has 20 minigames, four characters, a single board, and five gems locked when you first load it up. In order to view the final cutscene and truly end the game, you’ll need to unlock everything. Although this Mario game has a lot of unlockables, you don’t need to do anything too special to get all of them. In most cases, simply playing the game is enough, so long as you know where to look.
How to unlock characters
There are four hidden characters that aren’t playable at first: Pom Pom, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, and Dry Bones. Here’s how to unlock them:
- Pom Pom: Shows up in the Party Plaza after completing the Salty Sea section (world 5) of Challenge Road. That said, you have to unlock all the minigames before unlocking Pom Pom.
- Diddy Kong: Similar to Pom Pom, you have to complete the Chestnut Forest section (world 2) of Challenge Road to unlock Diddy Kong.
- Donkey Kong: To unlock Donkey Kong, play River Survival three times. Make sure to take different paths each time. On the third time through, you’ll see DK in the crowd as you head into the home stretch.
- Dry Bones: Dry Bones is weird. There doesn’t appear to be a set requirement for unlocking the skeletal Koopa. Dry Bones just shows up in Party Plaza after playing for a bit. You’ll find him at the top of the plaza.
Of course, each of these new characters come with their own die. Here’s what they are:
- Pom Pom: 0 3 3 3 3 8
- Diddy Kong: 0 0 0 7 7 7
- Donkey Kong: +5 coins 0 0 0 10 10
- Dry Bones: 1 1 1 6 6 6
The hidden board: Kamek’s Tantalizing Tower
The first unlockable you’ll want to tackle is the hidden board. Luckily, you can do this by just trying the three default boards: Whomp’s Domino Ruins, King Bob-omb’s Powderkeg Mine, and Megafruit Paradise. After completing a match on each of three boards, you’ll unlock Kamek’s Tantalizing Tower.
Challenge Road and other modes
You start off Super Mario Party with four game modes: Mario Party, Partner Party, Sound Stage, and River Survival. You can unlock one major new mode called Challenge Road along with several small-scale features.
How to unlock all of the minigames and open Challenge Road
Challenge Road becomes available after you unlock all 84 minigames. As you play, you’ll see question marks for minigames that haven’t been unlocked. Of course, at the end of turns, you have to rely on chance to get a game you haven’t played yet (don’t worry, it’s usually pretty good about landing on unplayed games). In order to unlock all 84, though, you have to play Mario Party, Partner Party, Sound Stage, and River Survival. We had to play each mode a few times to unlock all the games and open up Challenge Road.
Tip: You can go to the right side of the plaza to look at all of your unlocked minigames. Click on the ones with the question marks to see which mode unlocks them.
Toad’s Rec Room, Party Points, and the Sticker Room
You can unlock other smaller modes, too.
In the green pipe on the right is Toad’s Rec Room. This unlocks after playing one Mario Party match. Once in the rec room, you can play several different minigames including a neat baseball one.
You can also spend Party Points on collectibles after speaking with the Toad at the center of Party Plaza. Before you can do that, you must first earn Party Points, which are acquired by playing a game in any mode. After gaining the ability to spend Party Points, head left and then up to the red warp pipe. Kamek will open up the Sticker Room for you.
How to unlock all of the gems
To “beat” Super Mario Party and view the final cutscene, you have to collect five gems, each of which requires you to master the five main game modes.
- Gem of Tenacity: Most will unlock this gem first, as its requirement is to play all four boards in standard Party mode.
- Gem of Love: Requires you to play a round on all four boards in Partner Party.
- Gem of Courage: Take every route in River Survival to show you’re courageous enough for this gem.
- Gem of Spirit: This one may sound challenging, but it will take you the least amount of time. Simply complete a round of Sound Stage on hard difficulty.
- Gem of Passion: Finish Challenge Road.
Gold Oar in River Survival
In order to get the Gem of Courage, you need to take all five routes in River Survival. After obtaining the gem, go and talk to Birdo to obtain the Gold Oar. Using the Gold Oar on your boat in River Survival will add all Oar powers to your boat. It’s possible to obtain the Oar before completing all five routes, though it seems there’s some amount of RNG involved.
- The best Wii games of all time
- The best N64 games of all time
- The best Wii U games of all time
- The best multiplayer games on Nintendo Switch
- Super Mario Bros. 35 guide: Everything the game doesn’t tell you