A new video released on Nintendo’s YouTube channel shows that a new stage is on the way for Super Smash Bros. based on — you guessed it — Super Mario Maker. And in case you’re wondering: yes, the stage seems to be just as chaotic as it sounds.
Stages based on other games aren’t new to Super Smash Bros. — they’re what the game is built around — but this takes using a game’s mechanics in its stage to a new level. The on-screen hand from Super Mario Maker appears and builds the stage from scratch at the start of each round, so the layout changes each time you play.
“With so many parts on layouts, the sky is the limit for stage design,” a message in the video reads. That’s not the only gimmick here though: as parts of the stage are destroyed during the match, the hand will appear and fix broken blocks.
Just as with the Super Mario Maker game, the DLC will build stages based on four Mario games: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. That’s a lot of variety for one stage, even in a game as varied and frequently chaotic as Super Smash Bros.
The Super Mario Maker DLC will be available for both Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo for Wii U as well as the Nintendo 3DS version, and will be available later this month on September 30. There is currently no word on what the DLC will cost, but we’re guessing it will be in line with the other stages released for the game so far.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate may bring back Home Run Contest, Stage Builder modes
- Retailers offer rare deal on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for Nintendo Switch
- Piranha Plant reportedly corrupting ‘Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’ save files
- ‘Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’ claims throne as fastest-selling Nintendo game ever
- Best Buy allegedly leaks what Joker will look like in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate