It’s official, the Wii is the most successful game console in history. With 50 million units sold, it’s the fastest-selling console in history, according to Nintendo boss Satou Iwata, who also revealed that the company has shipped 100 million of its DS consoles.
"Almost no one expected them to reach the current level of mainstream acceptance. It’s even beyond what we possibly hoped for," Mr Iwata told the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, the BBC reported.
"The market has expanded as video games have been accepted by more consumers than ever before."
"It’s a cliche but it’s not just the 18-year-old kid, it’s the mom on the train, it’s the high-school girl after she’s done with her homework, everyone plays games."
The company will be adding some tweaks to the Wii, including a new storage system using high capacity SD cards.
- Update removes hidden ‘Golf’ game from the Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Switch passes lifetime sales of Wii U in less than one year
- Nintendo declares Switch the fastest-selling home console in U.S. history
- The best game console you can buy right now
- Time for a Switch? Nintendo dominated Amazon’s best-selling games list for 2017