Following up on a recent comment suggesting that the Boogie Nights and The Fighter actor Mark Wahlberg might join the fourth installment of his big-budget, live-action Transformers franchise, Bay officially announced a deal with the star on his website this week.
“Mark is awesome,” wrote Bay in an official statement about Wahlberg’s casting in the film. “An actor of his caliber is the perfect guy to re-invigorate the franchise and carry on the Transformers’ legacy.”
Along with confirming that Wahlberg will take over as the new, human face of the franchise — replacing previous franchise star Shia LaBeouf — Bay also debuted the official logo for Transformers 4 seen above.
Other than this piece of casting, little is known about the potential plot for Transformers 4, though Bay previously expressed a desire to keep the next installment of the franchise a little more “grounded” than its predecessors. Bay is reportedly working with a significantly lower budget for the film, so there’s no telling how that will be reflected in the film.
Transformers 4 is currently scheduled for release June 27, 2014. Production is expected to begin in 2013.
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far
- Here’s everything we know about ‘The Predator’ movie
- Here is our list of the best movies on Netflix right now
- Jaegers, assemble! Here’s everything we know about ‘Pacific Rim Uprising’
- Watch all the Super Bowl movie trailers from this year’s game