The free “Games with Gold” that Microsoft offers to Xbox Live Gold subscribers will arrive on the 1st and 16th of every month between now and December 31, 2013, Microsoft revealed on Xbox.com. There are no plans to continue the program after the end of this year, though that doesn’t mean it won’t. The current offering is Fable 3, which is available as a free download to Gold subscribers until the end of this month.
Microsoft shared news of the Games with Gold promotion during its E3 press conference while speaking briefly about ongoing support for the Xbox 360. It isn’t clear yet what July’s two free games will be, though we learned during the presser that Assassin’s Creed 2 and Halo 3 will be included in the program. The free games could help Microsoft compete with Sony and its PlayStation Plus program, which gives subscribers multiple free games every month under the “Instant Game Collection” heading.
- Twitch will hand out a batch of games each month to Prime members
- May’s free Xbox Games With Gold are among the best we’ve ever seen
- April’s free Xbox Games With Gold include ‘The Witness’ and ‘Dead Space 2’
- March’s Xbox Games With Gold freebies arrive a day early
- My Nintendo rewards program will soon offer free Switch games