Two new flagship surround processors, the MC-12 and MC-12 Balanced, have been announced by Lexicon, Inc., a company that has a long history in digital signal processing, and they are expected to hitthe market in July 2001.
The MC-12 is a 12-channel digital controller with 12 configurable inputs and 3 independent zones (main, zone-2, and record). Beyond the standard 5.1 outputs, the MC-12 adds rear left/right andsubwoofer left/right outputs. The difference between the two processors is the provision of balanced audio outputs via XLR connectors for the main and zone-2 outputs in the MC-12 Balancedversion.
The MC-12 family processors feature the latest surround processing formats, which include:
- Logic 7®
- Dolby® Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Pro Logic
- dts® and dts-ES (discrete & matrix)
- THX Surround EX™
The processing power of the MC-12 is provided by four Analog Devices SHARC® 32-bit DSP engine. Custom algorithms process 24-bit/96kHz audio in all listening modes. A fifth processor, CirrusLogic’s Crystal® 49326 DSP decodes dts, dts-ES, Dolby Digital, and Pro Logic II audio sources. In addition, three expansion slots are available to increase to more than quadruple theprocessing power available.
Analog sources are processed at 96kHz. Each main audio output incorporates 24-bit/192kHz Digital-to-Analog converters. The processors also provide broadcast-quality video switchers. The ultra-widebandwidth component video switcher accepts any analog component or RGB video input signal. The S- and composite video switcher accommodates high quality NTSC, PAL, or SECAM video input signals.
With MC-12, the users are also able to configure inputs to their liking. Any source can be assigned to any input. Switch between digital and analog sources is done automatically. Color on-screendisplay is provided to make the appropriate speaker configuration easy.
Above all that, the MC-12 is designed to be expandable and upgradable. The rear panel has auxiliary left/right outputs to provide additional audio channels and a removable access plate to accommodateconnectors for new technologies. Inside, three expansion slots are available for future upgrades. The systems software can be upgraded via RS-232 port.
The Manufacturers Suggested Retail Prices of MC-12 and the scheduled delivery for the U.S. are as follows:
- MC-12 $8,995. (Available July 2001)
- MC-12 Balanced $9,995. (Available August 2001)
- MC-12 to MC-12 Balanced factory upgrade $1,250. (Available August 2001)
Detailed Standard Features:
- 5 Stereo (RCA) pairs
- 5.1 Analog Input (L, C, R, LS, RS, LFE)
- 4 rear panel microphone inputs for future expansion
Digital: 13 digital audio inputs, including an AES/EBU input
- 4 component video inputs (one BNC) with full HDTV compatibility
- 8 S-video inputs
- 5 composite video inputs
Infrared: Rear panel IR input
RS232: 2 D-9 type connectors
- 12 unbalanced RCA outputs (L, C, R, Side L/R, Rear L/R, Subwoofer L/R, LFE, Auxiliary L/R)
- 14 Balanced XLR outputs: MC-12 Balanced only (L, C, R, Side L/R, Rear L/R, Subwoofer L/R, LFE, Auxiliary L/R, Zone2)
- 1 coaxial S/PDIF
- 1 optical S/PDIF
- 1 BNC component video output with full HDTV compatibility
- 2 Main video outputs, each with composite and S-Video
- 2 Record video outputs, each with composite and S-Video
- 3 Independent Zones (Main, Zone2, Record)
- THX® Ultra Certified
- Broadcast Quality video switching
- 4 Analog Devices SHARC® 32-bit DSP engines
- 24-bit/96kHz internal processing
- 24-bit/192kHz D/A converters
- Cirrus Logic’s Crystal® CS49326 DSP decoder
- Analog pass-through
- RS-232 upgradable software
- 3 internal slots and rear panel options plate
- 3 trigger outputs (2 programmable triggers)
- Preliminary Dimensions and Weight: 17.3″W x 5.2″H (6.65″ balanced version) x 14.85″D; approx. 36 lbs. (approx. 42 lbs. balanced version) lbs.
- HTC’s Desire 12 and Desire 12 Plus are big on display, low on cost
- Here are the 12 best deals on Apple accessories for the iPad, iPhone, and Watch
- Everything you need to know about the HTC Breeze/HTC Desire 12
- 12 tips to free up storage space on your Android phone or tablet
- $79 Cor fitness tracker monitors heart rate for 12 days without a charge