This year almost seems like a watershed moment for smart home devices. A deluge of new appliances, hubs, and apps aimed at making our houses more connected came into the marketplace, and even more popped up on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Some were designed to keep us safe, like smart smoke alarms and outlets, while others were just fun, like the smart photo frame. In fact, there was so much neat stuff this year, we had a hard time narrowing down what give as gifts this holiday season; it seriously helped that not all the devices on this list are actually available yet. It just means 2015 is going to be even more smart-device-laden than 2014.
- This event topped Facebook’s biggest moments of the year — again
- Has Columbus, Ohio raised its IQ yet? A progress report from the mayor
- What to expect from Apple’s October 30 event: New MacBooks, iPads
- It’s the phone equivalent of a Bentley. So why does the Pixel 3 look like a VW?
- The best video gaming consoles of 2018