Bahamas? Lame. Hawaii? The epitome of cliche. Paris? Too many French. If you’re looking for a truly unique and romantic travel destination this winter, you could do far worse than making your way, with a loved one , up to the Igloo Village of Hotel Kakslauttanen in Finland. Located near Finland’s Urho Kekkonen National Park, the igloo village offers up one of the most spectacular views of the Aurora Borealis.
The Hotel Kakslauttanen consists of 20 glass igloos that are outfitted with thermal glass walls and ceilings, giving visitors the chance to gaze up at the spectacular view of the Aurora Borealis without having to leave the warmth of their thermal domes. The igloos can accommodate two people and repel frost, allowing you a great view even when the temperature drops to -22 degrees Fahrenheit outside.
For those looking for even more accommodations, the hotel also features a restaurant, an ice bar, the world’s largest smoke sauna, and a fresh snow chapel built every winter. And if you’re looking for a more traditional experience, there are even igloos made of ice that you can take up lodging in.
- These awesome treehouses will make you question life on solid ground
- Get seasick? Then this floating hotel room ‘pod’ is definitely not for you
- A luxury space hotel is now taking reservations — if you’ve got $10 million
- Designed by photographers, these Mountainsmith bags are made for adventure
- Google makes it even easier for you to plan a trip on your smartphone