RCA’s Universal remotes are nice for reducing and decluttering the number of remotes you need to work the various components in your home theater. For this How-To we’ll be using the Automatic Code Search method. It may take some trial and error, so be forewarned.
Grab your new remote and make sure the components you want synced are all hooked up. Now get ready to program your remote control.
1. Turn on the component that you want to set up.
2. Press and release the button that corresponds with the component that you’re programming. For example, if you’re want the remote to control the TV or VCR (or DVD player) hit and release the TV button or DVD button. The ON-OFF button will light up and should remain lit.
3. Now, simultaneously press and hold the component button and the ON-OFF button. The illuminated ON-OFF button will turn off. Then it should turn back on.
4. Release both buttons after the ON-OFF button relights. It should remain on.
5. Now, press and release the PLAY button. If the component that you’re programming does not turn off after 5 seconds, continue to hit the PLAY button until the component turns off.
6. Next press and release the REVERSE button. Wait to see if the component turns back on.
7. Press and release the STOP button to save the new code.
If you don’t press the buttons correctly you might mess up the syncing process. This is the main reason why it might take some trial and error to get the remote set up.
- 100 awesome Android apps that will transform your tired tablet
- Here’s all the best gear and gadgetry you can snag for $50 or less
- Having problems with your Xbox One? We have some possible solutions
- Tricks of the trade: How to get free stuff on Amazon
- The 100 best Android apps turn your phone into a jack-of-all-trades