Apple released iOS 9 on September 16, followed by iOS 9.0.1 less than 10 days later, and now iOS 9.0.2 is waiting for you to download. Before you go looking for the update expecting any new features, don’t get too excited, it’s another bug fixing, problem solving software tweak.
The update’s size seems to vary depending on the device and network to which it’s connected — but ours came in at an evil 66.6MB. There are five main improvements to the latest OS contained in the update:
- A bug which affected how app mobile data usage was switched on and off has been fixed.
- iMessage activation errors have been resolved
- Starting a manual backup will no longer interrupt an iCloud backup
- If you’ve been annoyed by random screen rotations when a notification comes through, then iOS 9.0.2 will fix that issue.
- Finally, the Podcast app has been given an update to improve stability.
The release of iOS 9.0.1 zapped a similar array of problems, ranging from alarms refusing to sound, to a more serious issue related to applying the main iOS 9 update. Major software updates are extensively tested before being released to the public, and in iOS 9’s case, a beta version was available outside of the developer world for the first time, but not every bug can be caught until the software is in wide use.
They may not apply to each and every user either, but it’s those rare bugs Apple is addressing with iOS 9.0.1 and iOS 9.0.2, and the speed with which we’ve seen the release of these two updates is refreshing. Apple’s iOS 9 isn’t a huge update over iOS 8, but it does add some new features, including transit directions in Apple Maps, plus some alterations to the design and layout of the mobile OS. You can read our review here.
To see if the iOS 9.0.2 update is available for your device — it’s applicable to any iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch that’s compatible with iOS 9 — go to Settings/General/Software Update, and wait for the device to check the servers.
- How to block text messages on iOS and Android
- Apple iPhone 13 vs. iPhone 12: What are the big differences?
- AirPods, Apple Watch, iPad just got MAJOR price cuts at Amazon
- Apple iPhone 13 buying guide: Release date, price, specs — everything we know
- Amazon is celebrating yesterday’s Apple announcements with DEALS!