AT&T Wireless and MSN today announced a strategic alliance that will enable consumers to subscribe to MSN Mobile services delivered through their AT&T Wireless’ mMode-capable phonesnationwide by the end of the year. The deal will give AT&T Wireless customers mobile access to MSN network content, their MSN Hotmail e-mail accounts, MSN Messenger and other offerings as apremium paid service.
The latest alliance between longtime collaborators Microsoft and AT&T Wireless extends MSN Hotmail, the world’s leading Web-based e-mail service with 130 million active users worldwide; MSN Messenger, the world’s leading free* instant messaging solution; and the entire suite of MSN Mobile services to AT&T Wireless’ large customer base. AT&T Wireless mMode customers will be able to add an MSN Mobile subscription to their service; customers with text-messaging phones can subscribe to MSN Mobile two-way text-messaging services.
â€œThis new agreement significantly enhances Microsoft’s long-standing relationship with AT&T Wireless, and will provide our mutual customers with wireless access to familiar MSN services that offer a convenient way to stay in touch with the people and information that matter most,â€ said Brian Arbogast, a corporate vice president in the MSN and Personal Services Division at Microsoft Corp. â€œWe’re setting the stage for MSN and AT&T Wireless to bring even more advanced services to customers, who are increasingly seeking access to a diverse range of data services on their phones and other devices.â€
mMode brings together e-mail, Internet-based content, games and more, all in one place on the wireless phone. Unveiled earlier this week, a newly enhanced version of mMode features a more user-friendly design and interface, powerful personalization tools, exclusive navigation features, and a host of new applications for daily use in a mobile environment.
â€œThanks to this new agreement with Microsoft, mMode customers will soon benefit from the richness of services provided by MSN,â€ said Sam Hall, vice president of mMode services at AT&T Wireless. â€œIt’s clear to us that customers are looking for a simple way to access MSN services while on the go, and together with Microsoft, we’ll be delivering that capability across dozens of handsets in the weeks ahead.â€
MSN Mobile provides users with wireless access to core MSN two-way communication applications and notifications on a range of mobile devices, from basic text-messaging phones to mMode-enabled phones. MSN Mobile services available to AT&T Wireless subscribers include the following:
- MSN Hotmail. Allows subscribers to read and reply to messages and receive mobile alerts when important e-mail arrives
- MSN Messenger. Allows users to chat wirelessly with family and friends virtually anywhere
- MSN Mobile Web. Enables a mobile device to browse MSN for weather, news, sports, horoscopes and other information â€” whenever and wherever users need it most
- MSN Calendar. Provides one-way mobile alerts for important dates such as birthdays and anniversaries
- MSN Alerts. Delivers customized alerts for weather, news, sports, stocks, traffic, horoscopes and more
- How to send a text message from a computer
- Clear out your inbox with the 10 best third-party email apps for iOS
- Don’t listen to the guy at the mall. How to pick the best smartphone data plan
- How to block text messages on iOS and Android
- T-Mobile, AT&T will help customers stay connected throughout the Olympics