Google’s giving presents a little early this year — the company announced the best apps, books, movies, and shows of 2016 on Google Play.
The winners represent global top-trending content and they span six categories.
Deadpool gets a special nod for coming first in two categories — the 2016 film is the best in the Movies category, and Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe is number one in Books. There are a few unsurprising winners, though. Pokémon Go, for example, was the top-trending game of 2016. The top movies of 2016 include such box office heavy hitters as Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Captain America: Civil War, and Zootopia. Game of Thrones gets the crown for being the number one TV show, beating out The Walking Dead.
Three out of the top five apps happen to revolve around selfies, and another is an emoji keyboard. Take a look at the top five winners in each category:
The top trending apps of 2016:
- Face Changer 2
- Lumyer – Photo & Selfie Editor
- Castbox – Podcast Radio Music
- Emoji Keyboard Pro
The five most streamed songs of 2016:
- Stressed Out, Twenty One Pilots
- Sorry, Justin Bieber
- One Dance (featuring WizKid & Kyla), Drake
- Don’t Let Me Down (featuring Daya), The Chainsmokers
- Me, Myself & I, G-Eazy
The top trending games of 2016:
The top five movies of 2016:
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Captain America: Civil War
- Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice
The top five TV shows of 2016:
The top five books of 2016:
- Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe by Cullen Bunn
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne
- The Girl on the Train: A Novel by Paula Hawkins
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu
- Me Before You: A Novel by Jojo Moyes
For a more expansive list of winners, head over to the Google Play Store.
- The best Android Auto apps for 2020
- The best Android apps (October 2020)
- Apple Music vs. Spotify
- The best Android games currently available (October 2020)
- The best guitar apps for beginners on Android and iOS