When we reviewed Samsung’s next heir to the Galaxy S line, the Galaxy S5, we thought that, while it was held back by some of its software, it was still an excellent smartphone that we would recommend to just about anyone. However, there was one thing that we couldn’t help but notice: it wasn’t blinged out. Sure, it has those dimples, but where are our crystals? Enter Swarovski.
A teaser video posted on YouTube by Samsung Mobile Korea reveals that Samsung will team up with Swarovski to make a “Crystal Collection” edition of the Galaxy S5. The video shows a Galaxy S5 completely covered in Swarovski crystals. The handset will be available in Samsung’s home turf, South Korea, sometime in May. It’s unknown whether Samsung will make the Crystal Collection Galaxy S5 available in other regions.
This is not the first time Samsung has partnered with Swarovski to line its smartphones with the latter company’s crystals. Last year, the same thing was done with both the Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy Note 3, though the Galaxy S4 was sold as a Crystal Edition versus just selling a blinged-out Galaxy Note 3 battery cover. To provide some context, the crystal-backed Galaxy S4 sold for roughly $630, while the crystal-encrusted Galaxy Note 3 battery cover retailed for $300 when it launched in New York City.
Samsung and Swarovski even gave the Galaxy S3 Mini the crystal treatment. It’s obvious that Samsung loves to bling out its hardware, and this only continues the trend.
- Galaxy S10? Foldable phone? What to expect from Samsung’s Unpacked on Feb. 20
- Stop buying old tablets, says Samsung, buy the new Galaxy Tab S5e instead
- Accidentally aired Samsung ad shows Galaxy S10, Galaxy Buds a day before launch
- Samsung Galaxy S10 X 5G phone: Everything you need to know
- Verizon’s deal could get you a free iPhone XR — but there’s some fine print