How to root your Android device with multiple programs
There are a bunch of ways to root your phone or tablet. Here are a few of our favorites.
How to root your Android device with Firmware.mobi
Firmware.mobi, an unlocking utility by developer Chainfire, isn’t the easiest way to root your Android smartphone, but it is one of the most stable. It works on over 300 devices, and provides step-by-step instructions that make the rooting process as seamless as it possibly could be.
You will need to download the appropriate ZIP file for your device.
Once you have done that, follow these steps:
- Extract the folder.
- Navigate to it, and find the root-windows.bat file. Double-click it.
- Wait for the script to execute, and press any key.
- When the process is complete, your phone will automatically reboot, and you will be rooted.
For a visual guide, check out this GadgetHacks video.
How to root your Android device with BaiduRoot
BaiduRoot, a software utility by Beijing-based Baidu Inc., supports more than 6,000 Android devices, but since those only include devices running Android 2.2 up to Android 4.4, it’s going to have limited use most. However, if you’ve got a really old phone lying around, this is a great tool for rooting and re-purposing that. It’s coded in Chinese, but a crafty translator has released an English version.
BaiduRoot’s one of the more straightforward rooting applications. Once you’ve downloaded it on your computer, it’s a step-by-step affair.
First, you’ll need to unzip the file. Find Baidu_Root.RAR and extract its contents (if you’re using Windows, you might need a third-party application like 7-Zip).
Next, attach the device you want to root to your computer via USB and transfer the files. Once that’s done, unplug your phone.
You’ll have to install the BaiduRoot application manually. Follow these steps:
- On your smartphone or tablet, head to Settings > Security (or Lock screen and security).
- Toggle Unknown sources, and press OK on the popup.
- Find the folder containing the BaiduRoot app and tap the APK file. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
Now, switch to BaiduRoot.
- Open BaiduRoot and accept the license agreement.
- Tap the Root button in the center of the screen.
- After a few seconds, you’ll get a message indicating that the device was successfully rooted.
Here’s a video demonstrating the installation process.
How to root using One Click Root
One Click Root is a new rooting tool that aims to take some of the complicated nature out of rooting. The idea of One Click Root is right there in the name; one click, and you’re done. It also promise that the program won’t be able to brick your phone, except in the case of user negligence. We can’t back up those claims, so we recommend you take all the same precautions you would take with any other rooting app.
The One Click Root procedure is simple.
- Check that your device is supported with the Root Availability Tool.
- Download the Windows/Mac One Click Root program.
- Connect your device via USB cable.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Run One Click Root and let the software handle the tricky bit.
How to use Kingo Android Root
Kingo Root can be installed to a Windows-based computer or directly to the device you want to root. First, check to see if your device is compatible with Kingo by checking the official list. Then, grab the Kingo Android Root for Windows program, and install it. Alternatively, download the Kingo Android Root APK to your device, check the Unknown sources box (see above), and install it.
If you’ve opted to use the Windows client, make sure to enable USB debugging mode on your phone.
From there, usage is pretty simple:
- Launch Kingo Root on your computer and connect your device via USB.
- Kingo Root should detect your device automatically and prompt you to root it. Click Root, and then hang tight — Kingo will only take a few minutes to grant root privileges.
If you would rather root without a computer, follow these instructions:
- Install the Kingo Root APK.
- Open the Kingo Root app.
- If your device is compatible, you will see a One Click Root button if your device is compatible. Tap it and be patient — it can take a while.
- If the root is successful, you will see a large check mark.
How to root your Android device using KingRoot
- Open the KingRoot app.
- You will see a Try to Root button if your device is compatible. Tap on it.
- Be patient — it can take a while.
- If the root is successful, you’ll see a large check mark.