Apple’s latest update for iOS 14 has fixed a number of bugs, including one affecting some iPhone 12 Mini handsets where the lock-screen display would fail to respond to touch.
Online forums started to fill up with complaints right after the iPhone 12 Mini started landing in customers’ hands following its launch at the end of last week.
Some noted that the issue only occurred when the iPhone 12 Mini had both a case and a screen protector on, though others believed it was the use of a screen protector alone that led to the unusual and frustrating behavior.
The fact that it appears to have been a software issue rather than a hardware problem will come as a big relief to owners of the device who were no doubt concerned about the possibility of having to send their new handset in for repair. Apple will certainly be pleased about that, too.
According to Apple’s official release notes, its latest software update, iOS 14.2.1, fixes issues that meant:
- Some MMS messages were not being received
- Made for iPhone hearing devices were experiencing sound quality issues when listening to audio from an iPhone
- The lock screen on an iPhone 12 Mini may have been unresponsive
iOS 14.2.1 also includes some security updates.
Whether or not you have an iPhone 12 Mini, it’s probably best to grab the update just as soon as you can, especially for those security updates. You’ll find it by diving into your phone’s settings, tapping on General, Software Update, and then Download.
If you want to see which version of iOS you currently have on your Apple phone, simply go to Settings, General, About, and then, near the top of the screen, you’ll see “software version.”
Apple released iOS 14 for the iPhone 6S in September 2020, with several additional updates, including today’s, landing since then. If you haven’t yet upgraded to iOS 14, check out this super-helpful Digital Trends article showing the steps you need to take to get it done.
You can also read about all of the goodies that iOS 14 brings to the iPhone, as well as common problems with Apple’s latest mobile operating system and how to fix them.
- There’s only one reason I’m still using an iPhone in 2023
- This is what an iPhone looks like after a year with no screen protector
- I reviewed 20 phones in 2023. These are my 5 favorites
- Does the Google Pixel Watch work with an iPhone?
- It looks like the iPhone 16 will get a big design upgrade