Bug: 3D Touch haptic feedback no longer working
This is almost certainly a bug since 3D Touch continues to work, it’s just that there’s no feedback from the phone indicating that 3D Touch was used. Users reported this issue through iOS 10.2, but there are a few things to try.
- Restarting the phone will temporarily restore haptic feedback.
- Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics and toggle System Haptics off and on again.
- Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > 3D Touch to toggle the feature on and off, and to adjust the sensitivity.
- If you have Skype installed, some have managed to restore feedback after disabling the app’s integration option.
Issue: Phone app crashes and freezes
Many users took to the Apple discussion forums to report that the Phone app will crash or lock up when in the Phone app’s settings, in the Recent Calls list, and while making calls using Bluetooth headsets. Soft and Hard Resets have not fixed the problem, and those who have tried a factory reset have not experienced any changes either.
- Update to iOS 10.3.2 if you haven’t already.
- If the problem started after an update, the update itself may have installed incorrectly. If possible, restore your device to a backup made before the update was applied, then install the update again.
- A proposed workaround suggests turning off Exchange contacts. You can do so by going to Settings > Contacts > Accounts, then tap your Exchange account(s) and toggle the Contacts slider off.
Problem: 3D Touch no longer working
The 3D Touch feature is an integral part of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, as it makes it easier to interact with apps and get to some of their settings and features. Some users, however, have been unable to get their 3D Touch to work, or have noticed the feature has stopped working completely.
- Restart your iPhone.
- If you’ve recently applied a new screen protector, remove it and try using 3D Touch again. If it works, the problem was with the screen protector.
- Clean your touchscreen, as well as your own hands.
- Go to Settings > General> Accessibility > 3D Touch and make sure the feature hasn’t been turned off by accident. From this page, you can also adjust the feature’s sensitivity and test it out.
- Reach out to Apple Support or go to an Apple Store or Apple Service Provider in order to get your device repaired or replaced.
Glitch: Microphone cuts out
When in the middle of a voice call and using either speakerphone or the handset, the microphone will cut out, resulting in static and unintelligible sounds. The problem doesn’t occur during every phone call. Often, after hanging up and calling again, the static is gone, but the caller is still hard to hear or muted completely. This is different from the Phone quality issue above, which dealt with audio from incoming calls. This is an issue with the person making an outgoing call.
- As always, restart your phone and also check for an update.
- One solution that had been said to work is to backup your iPhone, then perform a factory reset and restore the phone using the backup.
- It could also be a hardware issue. Reach out to Apple Support or go to an Apple Store to get repairs or a replacement.
Problem: Touch ID has stopped working
People on the Apple forums have been having trouble with Touch ID. The feature has stopped working completely or has trouble functioning. On the iMore forums, one user has been unable to use Touch ID while it’s plugged in and charging.
- As always, start by restarting your phone and then trying to use Touch ID again.
- Clean the sensor and the finger(s) used for Touch ID. Dust, dirt, and other debris can interfere with the sensor.
- If you’re not currently running iOS 10.3.2, download and install the update.
- Remove previously added fingerprints and re-add them. Consider creating multiple fingerprints by scanning the same finger at different angles.
- If it doesn’t work while plugged in, try using a different wall outlet or USB port. Be sure to check the Lightning port as well and remove any debris.
- Reach out to Apple Support, as it may be a hardware issue. You may be able to have your phone repaired or replaced.