Hardly surprisingly, the perpetrator was held by security and later arrested. This week he had his day in court.
So what exactly happens to a person who wrecks a bunch of smartphones with a steel ball inside an Apple Store? Well, in this case the crime resulted in a hefty fine together with a six-month suspended jail sentence with a two-year probationary period, according to Le Figaro.
The unnamed assailant told the court that on the day of the incident he’d descended into “a state of monstrous anger” after staff at the store had earlier refused to offer him a refund when he complained about his faulty iPhone. With the red mist descending and a steel ball in hand, he then proceeded to take out a total of 12 iPhones, 4 iMacs, and a Macbook Air, according to AppleInsider.
Having weighed up the evidence, the judge this week sentenced the man and told him to repay Apple a whopping €17,548 for his impressively methodical yet worryingly wacky in-store wrecking job.
Interestingly, Apple had demanded the perpetrator cough up more than three times that amount – €60,000 ($65,500) to be precise – for all the ruined handsets and other kit. However, the court arrived at the lower amount as the damaged phones and computers were display models only and were therefore worth less.
- 5 things I learned about the iPhone SE after swapping from the iPhone 13 Pro
- I bought an iPhone 13 right before the iPhone 14 comes out, and you should too
- Apple’s iPhone 14 range could launch earlier than usual this year
- Apple iPhone 14: Everything we know about the 2022 iPhone
- What I love (and regret) about ditching the Galaxy S22 Ultra for the iPhone 13 Pro Max