The Sprint PCS Vision(SM) Picture Phone PM-8920 combines Sprint’s easy-to-use Picture Mail(SM) service with high-resolution pictures, giving customers the ability to leave their camera at home anduse just one lightweight device to make clear calls and share important moments with family and friends. The PM-8920 is manufactured by Audiovox and is available in Sprint Stores nationwide for$149.99 after rebates (SRP: $299.99).
Sprint was the first to deliver a built-in camera phone to the U.S. market and spurred growth in the wireless imaging market with the launch of an affordable camera phone, easy-to-use service and simple pricing last year. From August 2002 to March 2004, more than 100 million pictures and videos were shared over the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network.
â€œSprint has seen tremendous success with its Picture Mail product and the ability for customers to share life’s moments either phone-to-phone or phone-to-computer,â€ said John Garcia, senior vice president of sales and distribution for Sprint. â€œThe PM-8920 takes wireless pictures to the next level by delivering high-quality pictures that are ideal for printing as well as sharing.â€
â€œCamera phones that deliver higher resolution images for printing should help drive further consumer adoption of picture messaging services,â€ said Linda Barrabee, wireless analyst at The Yankee Group. â€œAs trailblazers in the adoption of advanced services such as multimedia messaging, the youth market represents one of several important customer segments that will continue to drive the evolution of devices and services to deliver higher quality.â€
The PM-8920 gives Sprint PCS Vision customers the ability to capture, send, receive and print high-resolution pictures. The 1.3-megapixel (1280 x 960) built-in camera also features a built-in flash, self-timer and up to 8x digital zoom capability. In addition, the PM-8920 is Sprint’s first phone that features a powerful display on both the interior and exterior screens: both are 260K TFT LCDs.
â€œAudiovox and Sprint are keeping customers on the leading edge of wireless with another breakthrough product,â€ said Philip Christopher, CEO and president of Audiovox Communications Corp. â€œFrom compact color handsets to video phones and new megapixel camera phones, we’re keeping mobile America connected.â€
- Built-in megapixel camera
- Customizable camera and Picture Mail options: Choose from four different shutter sound options or record your own. Choose from 40 different fun frames, including holiday themes. Include a 10-second voice clip to any Picture Mail.
- Macro Switch: Capture images with vivid detail within a very close range.
- Supports Sprint PCS Vision: Download the latest images, ringtones, Music Tones, games and other applications to make your phone unique to you and keep you entertained.
- Sprint PCS Picture Mail: Share life as it happens. Share and upload an unlimited number of pictures to your own personal online photo album (pictures.sprintpcs.com).
- SMS Text Messaging: Send messages directly from the phone’s standby screen.
- Large full-color screen: Vivid 1.12â€ x Â¼â€ main TFT display with 260K colors.
- Dual-Band/Tri-Mode: This phone may be used on and while roaming off the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network.
- Compact Design: 3.4â€ x 1.85â€ x.9â€; 3.88 oz.
- Standard Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery: Provides up to 3.5 hours continuous talk time or up to seven days continuous standby time in digital mode.
- Customizable Photo Caller ID: Assign photos to specific numbers in your phone book to quickly identify your caller.
- Built-in Speakerphone: Hands-free operation of your phone made easy!
- Built-in Personal Tools and Planner: Includes an alarm clock, calendar with scheduler, memo pad, calculator, world clock and stopwatch.
- Enhanced Call Log: Recalls 20 of the most recent outgoing, incoming and missed calls.
- Internal Phone Book: Ability to store up to 300 entries, with each entry storing up to five numbers/addresses.
- 2.5 mm Universal Jack: Accommodates most standard headsets for hands-free operation.
- Airplane Mode: This phone can be powered down independently of the display so games and applications can be used while the phone itself is turned off.
- Multiple Languages: Supports English and limited Spanish text prompts.
- Memory: RAM 64Mbit/ ROM 128 Mbit
- Display: TFT; 1.12â€ by 1.4â€; 128×160 pixels
- What is RCS messaging? Everything you need to know about the SMS successor
- The best wireless security cameras for 2019
- What is 5G?
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy Note 10 Plus: Everything you need to know
- How to send a text message from a computer