Sometimes the written word just isn’t enough to truly convey what you mean — especially when describing your favorite brunch place. That’s why the social review site Yelp is letting users take their opinions one step further.
On Thursday, Yelp confirmed that it will be adding a new video feature to its mobile app, allowing users to upload short clips along with their written reviews. The company’s mobile product manager, Madhu Prabaker, told Business Insider that the new feature will allow users to better capture the atmosphere of a restaurant or business.
“It will be a reward for businesses that go to great lengths to achieve a certain ambiance, whether by having a certain lighting or the music at just the right level,” Prabaker said.
The video option will be available for “elite” Yelp members starting in June before becoming available for everyone. The videos must be between three and 12 seconds each, and once recorded, users will have the option of choosing a cover photo and writing a short caption to go along with it.
Yelp will utilize its current system for filtering photos so that nothing inappropriate makes it through. As more users submit videos, the ones voted most helpful will show up first on the top of the app’s photo and video feed.
So get ready Yelp users: Everyone’s opinions are about to get a whole lot louder.
- Get your caffeine without thinking thanks to Gourmia’s smart coffeemakers
- If you’re using iCloud for photos, you’re doing it wrong. Here’s a better way
- Keep connected on the road: Three easy ways to add Bluetooth to your car
- The best iPhone apps available right now (April 2018)
- How to descale a Keurig and enjoy full cups of coffee again