HBO comedy Silicon Valley has been a breakout hit. Delving deep into the inner-tech world of Silicon Valley, California, the show follows a group of developers as they try to take their revolutionary software into the big leagues. Every cog in the SV tech wheel is parodied, from the over-confident incubator to the reclusive engineer, the eccentric VC to the laid-back yet money-hungry lawyer. If you’ve ever heard a stereotype about the California tech hub, this show has given it a good send-up.
Related: Stream Silicon Valley on Amazon now
While the show is fictional, it’s a little too accurate to be completely ungrounded in reality. Keen-eyed viewers will notice some striking similarities between some of the characters — not to mention companies — and real-life tech personalities. We’ve outlined six characters from the show that are, at the very least, loosely based on real-life tech entrepreneurs.
Silicon Valley airs every Sunday at 10 p.m. ET on HBO. The third season debuted on April 24, 2016.
Note that there will be a few spoilers.
- New ‘Silicon Valley’ season 5 photos bring the gang back together
- ‘Silicon Valley’ takes a jab at Facebook during season 5 premiere
- HBO bringing back award-winning comedy series ‘Silicon Valley’ for sixth season
- Premium network, premium content: The best movies on HBO right now
- Looking for a good read? Here are the best, most eye-opening books about tech