X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23, 2014)
Filming is complete on X-Men: Days of Future Past, with Bryan Singer once again taking over behind the lens and First Class director Matthew Vaughn stepping into the position of producer. The movie will be a sequel to X-Men: First Class, but it will also tie into the previous X-Men trilogy. It will feature much of the same cast, including both James McAvoy and Patrick Stewart appearing as Charles Xavier at different points in time, and Michael Fassbeneder and Ian McKellen both taking a turn as Magneto. Hugh Jackman will also appear as the nearly ageless Wolverine.
Characters that haven’t been seen since the ill-fated and poorly received X-Men: The Last Stand will also return, including Halle Berry’s Storm, Shawn Ashmore as Iceman, and Ellen Page’s Kitty Pryde. They will be joined by the new-to-the-big-screen characters of Bishop, Warpath, and Blink. Peter Dinklage will also appear as one of the film’s primary villains, Bolivar Trask, the creator of the mutant hunting robotic Sentinels.
- Evan Peters will appear as Quicksilver, the son of Magneto. The character of Quicksilver (played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson) will also appear in The Avengers 2 along with his sister the Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen). The two characters will be separate, and each will have a different origin.
- Rumors hint at the film opening with the assassination of President Kennedy, with the “Magic bullet” being controlled by Magneto.
- The character of Sabretooth may make a cameo appearance, but if he is, it isn’t clear if the role will go to Liev Schreiber or Taylor Mane (or someone else entirely), both of whom have played the character.
- Wolverine will be the character that bridges the two time periods. In the near future, Xavier (Stewart) and Magneto (McKellan), will be among only a handful of mutant survivors living under the rule of the Sentinels. They will somehow find a way to send Wolverine’s consciousness back to his younger self. [7/22]13]
- McAvoy’s Xavier will be in a bad place, feeling sorry for himself and nowhere near the man he becomes. [7/22/13]
- The film will take place 10 years after X-Men: The Last Stand, and 10 years after X-Men: First Class. [7/25/13]
- Singer has released the first look at a a full size sentinel. [8/5/13]
- A new trailer has been released. [10/30/13]
- Singer has already begun to tease a sequel to this film for 2016, featuring the X-Men villain Apocalypse. [12/6/13]
- Although Anna Paquin did return to reprise her role as Rogue, her scenes were cut due to pacing. They will appear as extras on the home media release though. [12/20/13]
- Days of Future Past will lead directly into the tentatively titled “X-Men: Apocalypse.” [3/21/14]
- A new viral video highlights 25 moments where mutants changed the course of the world created by the X-Men universe. [4/14/14]
- The final trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past has been released. [4/16/14]
Next Page: Fantastic Four (March 6, 2015)