For some actors, typecasting is hard to shake — they’re either known for comedy or known for drama, and generally pigeonholed into roles that fit one genre or the other.
Sometimes, comedy actors try unsuccessfully to show range by attempting a more dramatic role, only to revert to humor once it’s clear that fans just won’t accept the change. (Ryan Reynolds, anyone? While he’s laughing all the way to the bank thanks to Deadpool, the guy just can’t seem to capture a stellar leading dramatic role.)
That said, in some unique cases, comedy actors have managed to stun viewers by delivering a head-turningly fantastic performance that truly shows their versatility — and ability to do far more than just generate laughs.
Here are 10 of the most successful pivots from hilarity to tears.
- Seth Rogen leads an all-star lineup for Netflix special ‘Hilarity for Charity’
- ‘Super Troopers 2’ review
- Oh, it’s that guy! You know these actors’ faces, we’ll tell you their names
- The best stand-up comedy specials on Netflix
- 2018 Oscar predictions: Who’s going to win, who should win, and who got snubbed