Neighbors 2 may have been pushed back a week, but the follow-up to last summer’s surprise comedy hit is gaining momentum. Just days after Chloe Moretz confirmed on Twitter that she has signed on to star in the sequel, Universal Pictures has pushed back the flick’s May 2016 release. Deadline reports that the raunchy comedy’s opening weekend has been delayed a week from the intended May 13, 2016.
Although the title has yet to be confirmed by Universal Pictures, Production Weekly reports that the sequel will be called Neighbors: Sorority Rising. With the first flick having centered on the battle between a couple (played by Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne) and the fraternity next door (led by Zac Efron), it looks like a sorority may take over the house vacated by the frat. Assuming that the script goes that direction, Moretz will likely be the sorority equivalent of Efron’s character and take the lead in another neighborhood war.
Moretz’s Twitter announcement supports this theory. As she put it, “it’s the girls’ time to take over.” It’ll be the actress’ first comedy, but we like her confidence.
— Chloë Grace Moretz (@ChloeGMoretz) July 23, 2015
Rogen, Byrne, and Efron are all due to reprise their roles. Meanwhile, director Nicholas Stoller will be back as well, along with Evan Goldberg and James Weaver, who will produce alongside Rogen. Andrew Jay Cohen, Brendan O’Brien, Nathan Kahane, and Joe Drake will serve as executive producers. Currently in the works, the script will be penned by Rogen, Stoller, Golberg, Cohen, and O’Brien.
Neighbors 2 is now set for release on May 20, 2016.
- Zac Efron goes to Vietnam in the shallow comedy The Greatest Beer Run Ever
- James Franco, Seth Rogen will take us back to the ’90s with comedy series on Hulu
- Joining the circus: Hugh Jackman’s musical P.T. Barnum biopic adds Zac Efron
- ‘Preacher’ producer Seth Rogen goes rogue to get himself into new AMC show’s trailer
- Seth Rogen and Zac Efron take on a wild sorority in new Neighbors 2 redband trailer