Wow, so apparently not all rumors in Hollywood are totally wrong. Just part wrong. For a week or so, rumors — the oil in the machine that reports on Hollywood — have been floating that Emma Stone was up for a role in the upcoming Spider-Man reboot directed by Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer), and starring Andrew Garfield, whose recent turn in The Social Network has only increased the mounting expectations. It turns out that the rumors about Stone were right. Sort of.
Contrary to the rumors, Stone, who is currently starring in the comedy Easy A, will not be playing Mary Jane Watson, but will take on the role of Peter Parker’s first love, Gwen Stacy. It is an easy mistake to make — both Stone and the character of Mary Jane are red heads, while Stacy is a blonde. It turns out that Stone is a natural blonde though, so maybe she was destined for the role.
It isn’t yet known who will portray Mary Jane, or what this means for the character of Stacy. In the comics, Stacy was murdered by the Green Goblin before Spider-Man’s eyes, long before he began a romance with Mary Jane.
Spider-Man will hit theaters in 3D, on July 3, 2012.
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far
- Who will be the last Jedi? Everything we know about ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’
- Here’s everything we know about the ‘Venom’ movie
- Joaquin Phoenix is reportedly in talks to play the Joker in stand-alone film
- The 10 best movies that should be made into TV shows