The film casts Man of Steel star Henry Cavill as elite CIA agent Napoleon Solo, who must team up with his counterpart in the KGB (played by The Lone Ranger star Armie Hammer) during the height of the Cold War in order to stop a criminal organization bent on destabilizing the world. In order to prevent dangerous nuclear weapons and technology from getting into the wrong hands, the pair must overcome their differences and locate the daughter of a German scientist who could hold the key to preventing a global disaster.
The original The Man From UNCLE TV series ran for four seasons between 1964 and 1968, and starred Robert Vaughn and David McCallum as the odd-couple spies tasked with saving the world on a regular basis.
Along with Cavill and Hammer, the upcoming film also stars Alicia Vikander, Jared Harris, Elizabeth Debicki, Luca Calvani, and Hugh Grant.
The Man From UNCLE hits theaters on August 14, 2015.
- Steve Carell will return to TV for Apple’s morning news drama
- The future of Star Wars: All the known movies and TV series coming your way
- ‘Rick and Morty’ writer hired for new Star Trek animated series
- 13 great sci-fi books to read before they become TV shows
- ‘The Mandalorian’: What we know about Jon Favreau’s live-action Star Wars series