HBO has released the first still images from the upcoming debut season of sci-fi/Western hybrid Westworld. They show off the major characters in the series, and give a glimpse of scenes from around the titular setting.
The series is a reboot of Michael Crichton’s classic 1973 sci-fi film of the same name, and deals with artificial intelligence and questions of consciousness, morality, and entertainment. The television series, much like the film, takes place at West World, a resort fashioned after the Wild West and populated by robots with humanlike appearances and artificial intelligence. While at the resort, patrons are free to act out their wildest fantasies — no matter how questionable or morally reprehensible.
Westworld stars James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood, Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Thandie Newton, and Jeffrey Wright, and was created by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, both of whom write and executive produce the show. Nolan will also direct. J.J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub, and Bryan Burk are also executive producers.
The first episode of Westworld will air at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT on Sunday, October 2 on HBO, and the first season will feature ten episodes.
- Reality hews too close to sci-fi dystopia for ‘Westworld’ star Jeffrey Wright
- Here is everything we know so far about ‘Westworld’ season 2
- ‘Westworld’ creators to take their talents to Amazon for new sci-fi series
- ‘Billions’ third season is the showdown fans have been waiting for
- Apple orders new series from ‘Whiplash’ and ‘La La Land’ director