Zack Snyder certainly knows how to close out a week.
The Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice director got Friday started early (or Thursday ended late, depending where you’re located) by posting the very first image of actor Jason Momoa as Aquaman, teasing the character’s debut in the 2016 film.
— ZackSnyder (@ZackSnyder) February 20, 2015
Accompanied by the caption “There is only one true king,” the photo depicts a heavily tattooed, lightly armored Momoa, trident in hand, with the words “Unite The Seven” in the foreground of the image. It’s unknown whether the tagline refers to the seven seas or the members of the Justice League, which will unite in Justice League: Part One in 2017.
Fans of Stargate: Atlantis will likely find some similarities in the look he’s adopted for the role of DC Comics’ king of the seas and that of the character he played in the sci-fi television series, though Momoa is probably best known for his role as Khal Drogo in HBO’s Game of Thrones and his turn as the iconic title character of 2011’s Conan the Barbarian.
Aquaman is expected to make his debut in Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice when that film hits theaters March 25, 2016. His part in that film will be followed by a more prominent role in Justice League: Part One, then an Aquaman solo movie in 2018.
- Troubled Flash solo movie may be getting not one, but two directors
- Joaquin Phoenix is reportedly in talks to play the Joker in stand-alone film
- Everything we know about Marvel’s ‘Black Panther’ movie so far
- ‘Wrinkle in Time’ director to helm DC Comics superhero movie ‘New Gods’
- Superman prequel series ‘Krypton’ now has its first full trailer, premiere date