With an ever-growing library of content, there’s plenty to watch on Netflix — as long as you can find something that interests you. We’ve all experienced the problem of content overload, when you have an idea of what you want to watch but you just can’t quite narrow it down with so many options available. The streaming service conveniently allows users to search by general categories, but if you want to get even more specific, there’s a trick to help you out.
As it turns out, the streaming service has assigned codes to each genre and subgenre. You can access the full list of movies or programs for each manually, according to What’s On Netflix. This way, you don’t have to scan through the predefined carousels on your home page but can actually navigate directly to subgenre categories that feel like they were created just for you.
In order to do so, you must type the following URL into your Internet browser: http://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/INSERTNUMBER. After that, just swap out the “INSERTNUMBER” component with the code that corresponds to the genre you hope to browse, and you’ll get to see all of the options available.
The categories range from fairly general (e.g., anime, drama, and TV series) to extremely specific (e.g., movies for ages 5 to 7, teen comedies, and werewolf horror movies). With how quickly and easily they can be popped into a browser, they serve as a useful tool — in addition to Netflix’s home page and existing browsing options — for finding exactly what you want to stream.
Instead of manually inputting links, Google Chrome users can install the helpful FindFlix extension to easily search lesser-known genres. Those who don’t use Chrome can click through to browse a few of our favorite “secret” Netflix codes below. Happy browsing!
Action and adventure
- 8985: Martial Arts Movies
- 2125: Military Action & Adventure
- 10118: Comic Book and Superhero Movies
- 43040: Action Comedies
Children and family
- 10659: Education for Kids
- 67673: Disney
- 10056: Movies Based on Children’s Books
- 51056: Family Features
- 9875: Crime Documentaries
- 180: Sports Documentaries
- 1159: Travel & Adventure Documentaries
- 5349: Historical Documentaries
- 31273: Classic Romantic Movies
- 35800: Steamy Romantic Movies
- 5475: Romantic Comedies
- 36103: Quirky Romance
Sci-fi and fantasy
- 1568: Action Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- 3327: Alien Sci-Fi
- 4734: Cult Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- 47147: Classic Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- 5286: Sports Comedies
- 12443: Boxing Movies
- 6695: Martial Arts, Boxing & Wrestling
- 7243: Sports Dramas
- The 50 best movies on Netflix right now
- The 50 best movies on Amazon Prime right now
- Peacock: Everything we know about NBCUniversal’s streaming video service
- The best rom-coms on Amazon Prime right now
- The 50 best movies on Hulu right now