Starting today the greatest golfers in the world will compete in the sport’s oldest major championship: the British Open. They will assemble on Thursday on the Old Course at St. Andrews, the primordial birthplace of golf. There, on the rugged hills of Scotland, dozens of the world’s finest will compete for glory but only one will seize it.
Reigning champion Rory McIlroy will not be attending due to an ankle injury, leaving a void that any number of hungry competitors will be eager to fill. Surging American golfer Jordan Spieth is the top contender, having just won both The Masters and the U.S. Open this year. Already halfway to a Grand Slam (winning all four major tournaments in a single year) Spieth is certainly hungry to continue his streak of dominance.
Of course, there are many excellent golfers looking to claim the prize. Tiger Woods, following a disastrous appearance at the U.S. Open, will be looking for redemption at St. Andrews. Quite a few narratives will intersect at this year’s British Open, so it’s a must watch for golf fans.
As it takes place in Britain, the tee times may be a bit inconvenient for American audiences. Still, if there were ever a time to toss out your sleep schedule to watch golf, this is it.
Start Times (ET)
- Thursday, July 16 (First Round) — 1:30 a.m.
- Friday, July 17 (Second Round) — 1:30 a.m.
- Saturday, July 18 (Third Round) — 4 a.m.
- Sunday, July 19 (Fourth Round) — 3:30 a.m.
ESPN currently has the broadcast rights for the British Open, so depending on where you live and your views about watching illegal streams, your viewing options may be limited.
ESPN Broadcasts (ET)
Thursday, July 16: 4 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Friday, July 17: 4 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Saturday, July 18: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sunday, July 19: 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.
If you don’t have ESPN, you can search the dark corners of the internet for a free (though legally dubious) stream. The pro golfing subreddit /r/ProGolf is a good place to stay up-to-date with the event and maybe even find a link to a stream.
- How to watch NASA launch its DART anti-asteroid spacecraft tonight
- How to watch NASA launch SpaceX Crew-3 astronauts tonight
- How to watch Crew-2 return to Earth from the ISS on Monday
- Watch UFC 268 online: How to live stream the fight
- Watch UFC 267 Online: Stream the event live NOW