Last update: 4:13 PM PST, May 9, 2020.
Desperate to watch UFC 249 online this evening? You’re in luck — we’ve rounded everything you need to know about UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje, including the start time, the full card, and where you can tune into the all-important UFC 249 live stream (spoiler: it’s a pay-per-view event that will broadcast exclusively on ESPN+ in the US — sign up now and save $30).
Date: Saturday, May 9, 2020
Time: 8 PM ET/5 PM PT (Prelims); 10 PM ET/7 PM PT (UFC 249 PPV)
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Arena: VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena
How To Watch UFC 249 Live Stream: Ferguson vs Gaethje
UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje is a pay-per-view (PPV) event. This means you will need to watch UFC online live later today. If you’re a new subscriber, the UFC 249 PPV scores you an annual ESPN+ subscription, as well as access to UFC 249 for just $85. That’s $30 less than it costs to sign up for ESPN+ and buy the PPV separately.in order to
Wait! Why Do I Need ESPN+ To Watch UFC 249 Online?
ESPN+ is a premium streaming app that brings a boatload of sports entertainment to web browsers, mobile devices, and other compatible streaming setups. Given this sports broadcaster’s cozy relationship with promotions such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Top Rank Boxing, ESPN+ is a must-have for die-hard fans of MMA and boxing.
The UFC and ESPN are particularly close now, and ESPN+ is the only way you can stream live pay-per-view events like UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje today in the US — and that’s why you need ESPN+ to watch UFC 249 online. Think of it as the official source of the UFC 249 live stream, available on smartphones, tablets, TVs, and other streaming hardware like Roku.
UFC 249 Fight Card: Who’s Duking It Out?
The original main card for UFC 249 was going to be one for the books, featuring a long-awaited showdown between undefeated lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and former interim champ Tony Ferguson. This title match has been postponed several times now, with many fans saying that this matchup must be cursed in light of the recent health crisis; due to lockdowns and travel restrictions caused by this crisis, Khabib had to withdraw from the fight, and UFC chief Dana White wasted no time in replacing him with Justin Gaethje.
- Tony Ferguson vs Justin Gaethje (Interim Lightweight Championship)
- Henry Cejudo (C) vs Dominick Cruz (UFC Bantamweight Championship)
- Francis Ngannou vs Jairzinho Rozenstruik (Heavyweight)
- Jeremy Stephens vs Calvin Kattar (Featherweight)
- Greg Hardy vs. Yorgan De Castro (Heavyweight)
- Anthony Pettis vs Donald Cerrone (Welterweight)
- Aleksei Oleinik vs Fabricio Werdum (Heavyweight)
- Carla Esparza vs Michelle Waterson (Women’s Strawweight)
- Canceled: Uriah Hall vs. Ronaldo Souza (Middleweight)
- Vicente Luque vs Niko Price (Welterweight)
- Bryce Mitchell vs Charles Rosa (Featherweight)
- Ryan Spann vs Sam Alvey (Light Heavyweight)
Tony Ferguson is the top-ranked UFC lightweight and an accomplished MMA veteran with a record of 25 wins and only three losses, and he previously held the interim lightweight championship. Gaethje, ranked fourth on the lightweight roster with a record of 21-2, will be facing Ferguson in a contest for an interim title (as Khabib will likely be out of action until the end of the year due to his Ramadan fasting and subsequent recovery training).
The co-main event at UFC 249 was going to be another highly anticipated fight, a rematch between Jessica Andrade and Rose Namujanas following their explosive last meeting where Andrade claimed the belt from “Thug Rose” via a brutal takedown. That rematch will have to wait; in its place, fans will see bantamweight champion Henry Cejudo (15-2) fight to defend his title against Dominick Cruz (18-1). Cejudo was originally slated to defend his belt against Jose Aldo at UFC 250, which was itself scheduled for May 9 before the postponement of UFC events.
Scheduled preliminary middleweight match between Uriah Hall and Ronaldo Souza has now been cancelled after the 26-9 Brazilian fighter, Souza, has been tested positive for COVID-19.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.
- UFC 2020: Schedule, Results, Fighters, Fight Cards, and More
- Last chance: Save $30 on UFC 249: Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje pay-per-view
- How To Watch UFC 251 Online: Live Stream Usman vs. Masvidal
- How To Watch UFC 250 Online: Live Stream Nunes vs. Spencer
- All eyes on UFC 249: Tonight’s event is a litmus test for all live sports