Here’s the setup: Damon’s inside man hands a ringing cellphone to random passersby, saying only, “call is for you.” Once they got on the line, the actor leads them, Bourne-style, through a top secret mission of vital importance and tracks their progress via a series of hidden cameras.
Of course, people’s reactions to the scenario vary wildly, with some accepting the mission unquestioningly and others — like the gentleman at 0:57 — leaving everyone’s favorite super spy hung out to dry. Those who actually comply with Damon’s requests make for some truly absurd/hilarious theater, and the actor even has to remind one particularly stalwart participant that it’s not a good idea to field phone calls from strangers and obey their every request.
If you’re wondering about the impetus for all this silliness: The video was created in conjunction with Omaze, which raffles off once-in-a-lifetime experiences to those willing to donate $10 to a good cause. The company is currently offering a chance to win free tickets to the Jason Bourne premiere this summer, and the proceeds from the giveaway will benefit Water.org, a charity co-founded by Damon that helps provide access to safe drinking water in impoverished communities around the world.
The video (embedded above), contains a link to enter the contest, and you can also throw your hat in the ring via Omaze.com.
The latest installment in the Bourne franchise is due out in theaters July 29. In addition to Damon, the film stars Julia Stiles and Academy Award winners Alicia Vikander and Tommy Lee Jones.
- ‘Coco’ is box office champ again, but ‘Shape of Water’ goes big in small debut
- Matt Damon’s fight trainer explains how he made Bourne’s brawls so gritty
- As Matt Damon scales ‘The Great Wall,’ China is building a bridge to Hollywood
- You can watch Michael Jordan's 'Space Jam' in theaters once again this November
- Watch Matt Damon trick James Corden into doing dangerous ‘Jason Bourne’ stunts