We’ve got a case of he said, he said between John Oliver and Donald Trump. After the comedian appeared on CBS This Morning on Friday and shared that he’s not interested in having Donald Trump on Last Week Tonight, the loudmouthed politician turned to his favorite political forum (Twitter, of course) to claim he’d been invited to appear on the HBO late night show. In return, the show’s official Twitter account denied extending any such invitation in a tweet on Sunday.
During the interview that started it all, Oliver was asked if he endorsed Trump and if he wanted him on Last Week Tonight, and he made it clear that the answer to both questions was no. He went so far as to refer to the presidential hopeful as “an open book … [that] doesn’t have many interesting words in it.” Additionally, he implied that interviewing Trump would be pointless because he already says everything that is on his mind. “It’s not like you’re going to find this secret nugget he’s been holding back,” said Oliver.
Trump’s response to Oliver was actually tamer than we’d have expected, if unoriginal. He claimed in a tweet Saturday that he’d been invited by the folks at Last Week Tonight to appear on the “very boring and low-rated show.”
.@thehill John Oliver had his people call to ask me to be on his very boring and low rated show. I said “NO THANKS” Waste of time & energy!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 31, 2015
The show’s own Twitter account, however, disagreed. Responding on Nov. 1, it denied Trump’s claim, though it comically agreed that Last Week Tonight is boring.
Whether or not Trump was ever invited, it’s clear that he won’t be appearing in the future. Instead, Oliver will have to continue making his boring (read: hilarious) show without him. Somehow, we think he’ll manage.
Watch Oliver’s CBS This Morning below. Skip to 6:25 for the beginning of his comments about Trump.
- Conspiracy theories already spreading ahead of Trump-Biden presidential debate
- The next presidential debate on Zoom? It may yet happen
- TikTok says it’s here to stay; ban from U.S. app stores delayed to September 27
- How Twitter cut activity on QAnon content by half
- TikTok users mourn, mobilize after Trump moves forward with ban