There may not be an official title yet for Oliver Stone’s upcoming movie about former information analyst Edward Snowden, who leaked data pertaining to controversial global surveillance systems run by the National Security Agency, but it’s assembling quite an impressive cast. The latest actor to join the project is Justified star Timothy Olyphant, who will play a CIA agent in the film.
Deadline reports that with the hit FX series Justified entering its sixth and final season, Olyphant has lined up the still-untitled film about Edward Snowden as his next project after production ends on the celebrated series.
If all goes well with Olyphant’s negotiations for the role, he’ll join a cast that already includes Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Looper), Melissa Leo (The Fighter), Tom Wilkinson (Selma), Zachary Quinto (Star Trek), and Shailene Woodley (Divergent). The report indicates that Olyphant will play a CIA agent who befriended Snowden before he fled to Russia.
Stone will write and direct the film, which is based on the books The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World’s Most Wanted Man by Luke Harding and Time of the Octopus by Anatoly Kucherena, Snowden’s lawyer in Russia. Stone bought the film rights to the latter novel back in June 2014 ahead of its publication.
Production of the film is expected to begin soon in Munich, Germany.
- ‘Men in Black International’: Everything we know about the new MiB movie
- ‘The Mandalorian’: What we know about Jon Favreau’s live-action Star Wars series
- Joaquin Phoenix’s ‘Joker’ movie: Here’s everything we know so far
- HBO’s ‘Deadwood’ movie begins production, will finally give series an ending
- ‘Black Panther 2’: Everything we know about the sequel so far