So it turns out that James Franco may be responsible for ending the world. Strange, our money would have been on Justin Bieber. In the newest title in the Planet of the Apes franchise that includes five movies in the original series and one reboot starring Mark Wahlberg, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, will tell the origin of the intelligent apes which begin the movement to replace humanity as the dominant species on Earth.
The film will be something of a reboot and a prequel to the earlier movies, but it will also be a new story which should not change the original continuity too much. James Franco stars as a scientist working on neurological treatments to help fight against Alzheimer’s. When he begins testing on the ape Caesar (played by Andy Serkis who was then replaced in post-production), the results are astounding. As the ape’s intelligence grows, so do the sympathies of the lab attendants who remove Caesar from the lab to protect him, not knowing that the ape’s intelligence was continuing to grow, and plans to revolt had already been formed.
The film stars Franco, Freida Pinto, John Litgow and Brian Cox. Directed by Rupert Wyatt (The Escapist), Rise of the Planet of the Apes hits theaters on August 5.
- How the ‘War for the Planet of the Apes’ FX team created a realistic ape army
- Simulate a simian in ‘Crisis on the Planet of the Apes’ VR game this April
- He-Man and the ‘Masters of the Universe’ have found their directors
- Here’s everything we know about ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’
- Guard your Galaxy with the best Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus screen protectors