Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch is a difficult movie to classify. It is set in the 1950s and stars a woman that is escaping her stepfather and ends up in a mental institution with five days until they perform a lobotomy on her. So it is a drama. But there are guns and sword fights, so maybe it is an action movie. Then there are the war scenes, so maybe it is a war movie… But then where do the dragons fit in?
Described as “Alice in Wonderland with guns”, Sucker Punch is the story of “Baby Doll”, a woman that is trying to escape the pain her stepfather caused, and avoid the pending lobotomy five days away in the mental institution she finds herself in.
To cope, she escapes into her own private dream world, where she can fight the manifestations of the things causing her pain. In order to escape the imaginary world, she needs to steal five objects before a “vile man” catches her. Soon the lines between reality and the dream world begin to blur, and five inmates in the institution join Baby Doll to help her escape her real-world fate.
Sucker Punch stars Emily Browning (The Uninvited, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events), Vanessa Hudgens (High School Musical, Bandslam), and John Hamm (Mad Men, The Day the Earth Stood Still). Snyder co-wrote the screenplay with Steve Shibuya, from an original story by Snyder.
Sucker Punch premiers in theaters and on Imax on March 25, 2011.
– 6 new character posters were also released today.
- The best movies on Netflix right now (March 2019)
- Captain Marvel: Everything we know about the movie so far
- Stuck in a time loop: The best TV and movies that keep repeating the same day
- The best horror movies on Netflix right now (March 2019)
- ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’: Everything we know about the new Terminator movie