As in previous trailers, Harley Quinn provides comic relief in the dark superhero film. Her character has a penchant for one-liners and likes to get a rise out of people. She gets serious when she needs to, though, namely when it comes time to take on bad guys.
In the upcoming film, Harley Quinn is one of a group of imprisoned supervillains who are offered clemency — as long as they can save the day. The ragtag gang has to learn how to ignore their villainous tendencies and play the hero, which doesn’t necessarily come easily to them. As we see in the trailer, Harley Quinn can’t resist a chance to steal from a store they pass by.
From what we’ve seen so far, Robbie’s Harley Quinn seems to be a scene-stealer, even when she’s sharing the screen with respected actors like Will Smith and Jared Leto (as Deadshot and The Joker, respectively). Not only does the character warrant her own promo, Warner Bros. is reportedly already working on a Suicide Squad spinoff that would center on her. Robbie is said to have become very invested in DC Comics’ female characters and has been one of the project’s driving forces.
Suicide Squad is tracking well for Warner Bros. so far and could even break an August opening record. We’ll see how the supervillains fare when the David Ayer-directed film opens on August 5.
- Director James Gunn offers a warning with The Suicide Squad cast announcement
- Taika Waititi may join a team of fellow MCU alums in James Gunn’s Suicide Squad
- From Hawkeye to Hit-Monkey, here’s every Marvel show and movie coming your way
- What’s next for the Marvel Cinematic Universe in Phase 4 and beyond
- Forget Batman: Whatever happened to the DCEU’s Flash movie?