Before we get to when you’ll be able to pick up your very own copy of Joss Whedon’s massively successful superhero flick, or the huge amount of extra goodies that Marvel Studios has packed into the discs, let’s take a moment to thank the sieve-like security retailers place around supposedly sensitive information. Everything we’re about to discuss (and the box art above) comes courtesy of an unnamed big-box store that received this info from Marvel earlier this morning. As with all things intended for secrecy in our modern world, it was immediately leaked to the Internet.
Schadenfreude aside, the most crucial bit of information is that The Avengers will be released on DVD, Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D on September 25. There will be multiple versions of the film released (a 4-disc Blu-ray combo pack, a 2-disc Blu-ray combo pack, a 2-disc DVD combo pack and a single-disc DVD release), but it seems that most of different SKUs will include the same material.
Obviously each will include the film itself, but thanks to Joblo we have a list of the various extras packed into this release as well:
AVENGERS 4-Disc BD Combo Pack, 2-Disc BD Combo Pack and 2-Disc DVD Combo Pack Special Features:
• AUDIO COMMENTARY BY DIRECTOR JOSS WHEDON
• MARVEL ONE-SHOT: ITEM 47
• SECOND SCREEN
• GAG REEL
• DELETED SCENES
– Alternate Opening – Maria Hill Interrogation
– Extended Scene – Loki & Barton Strategize
– Steve Rogers – Man Out of Time
– Nick Fury & World Security Council
– Extended Viaduct Fight – Raw Footage
– Fury & Hill Discuss the World Security Council
– Extended Scene – Banner and Security Guard
– Alternate Ending – Maria Hill Interrogation
A Visual Journey
– Assembling the Ultimate Team
• SOUNDGARDEN MUSIC VIDEO – “Live to Rise”
By contrast, the single DVD release will include Joss Whedon’s commentary and the “Assembling the Ultimate Team” featurette.
While the above is literally everything we know of the home video release, we’re suspecting that there a few details missing. If Marvel Studios can pack everything in the above quote into a 2-disc Blu-ray release, then what are the additional discs in the 4-disc Blu-ray version going to contain? It seems unlikely that they’d simply be higher resolution versions of the former, and even if the 4-disc includes everything in 3D, it wouldn’t require an additional 50GB of storage space.
We expect to receive an official press release explaining all of this sometime soon, so hold off on finalizing your purchasing plans until then.
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’: Everything we know so far
- ‘The Last Jedi’ is Disney’s first 4K UHD Blu-ray with Dolby Vision and Atmos
- Here’s everything we know about ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’
- Xbox One S vs. PlayStation 4 ‘Slim’: Which console is worth your money?
- Jaegers, assemble! Here’s everything we know about ‘Pacific Rim Uprising’