— Gal Gadot (@GalGadot) March 12, 2017
The new trailer made its debut on Gal Gadot’s Twitter account after the actress’ appearance with co-star Chris Pine on the Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards on Saturday evening. The footage that we now see takes special care to emphasize that this is a movie about beginnings. On Friday, fans were promised an “even bigger surprise” than the new poster for the film, and that surprise now appears to be footage of a young Wonder Woman, or Diana of Themyscira, daughter of Hippolyta, training and discovering her powers.
In the first minute, audiences see a young Diana training with her warrior aunt, played by Robin Wright, who tries to prove that fighting isn’t always fair. But at a crucial moment, young Diana discovers the power of her infamous bracelets, and learns of her own ability to unleash hell.
The film is directed by Patty Jenkins, and stars Gal Gadot as the title character, with Chris Pine as American pilot Steve Trevor. Jenkins is the acclaimed director of the 2003 hit Monster, which won lead actress Charlize Theron an Oscar. Jenkins, however, hasn’t directed a feature since then.
In any case, Wonder Woman certainly seems like the right kind of film with which to reintroduce herself, and if the origin story of young Diana proves a hit, we may soon get an influx of origin stories for other heroes.
- Ralphie returns home for holiday hijinks in A Christmas Story Christmas trailer
- Weird: The Al Yankovic Story gets its first teaser trailer
- The Witcher: Blood Origin trailer reveals an untold chapter
- Lightyear trailer finally gives Toy Story’s Buzz a real Space Ranger movie
- Wonder Woman 1984 review: A superhero epic crammed into a time capsule