A Facebook issue appeared to cause problems for a number of popular apps on iOS devices Friday morning, temporarily stopping these apps from working.
The outages affected apps including Spotify, TikTok, Pinterest, and Tinder. The outage also affected gaming apps such as Call of Duty Mobile, which was also down, according to users on Twitter.
The exact cause of the problems with these apps has not yet been verified. It appears to be related to an issue with Facebook’s SDK (software development kit, or the software that allows apps to interface with Facebook). The issue could be caused by the apps’ use of Facebook’s sign-in feature.
A post from Facebook’s developer website early this morning flagged the issue, stating, “We are aware and investigating an increase in errors on the iOS SDK which is causing some apps to crash.” As of 8 a.m. PT, the issue was listed as “resolved.”
A similar issue occurred in May this year, when the Facebook SDK caused iOS apps including Venmo, Waze, and Spotify to crash.
- The worst Apple Watch problems, and how to fix them
- The best sleep apps for Android and iOS
- iOS 14 camera indicator turns on when browsing Instagram; bug fix on the way
- The most common iPhone X problems, and how to fix them
- Apple iOS update eliminates green tint on some newer iPhones