The game is one of this spring’s biggest major releases. Published by Square Enix, Outriders was set to be the first big third-party game of the new console generation before getting delayed till April. Now, it’ll be available for Xbox Game Pass subscribers on Xbox consoles and Android. It will not be available on PC.
The Game Pass version of the game will still support crossplay with other consoles. That means Xbox owners will be able to squad up with PlayStation 5 owners and PC players.
Outriders is a major addition for Xbox Game Pass. While the service adds first-party Microsoft games when they launch, major third-party titles tend to come long after a game releases. Outriders is one of the biggest new games to land on the system in some time.
The release potentially sets the stage for a big relationship between Microsoft and Square Enix. Fans have long speculated that Microsoft may try to acquire Square Enix following its recent Bethesda purchase. While that’s only been a rumor up to this point, Outriders coming to Game Pass is a massive development that could lead to more Square Enix titles coming to Game Pass down the line.
- Halo Infinite Season 3 delayed until 2023, split-screen co-op canceled
- Final Fantasy Origin will get three post-launch expansions
- The Wolf Among Us 2 will launch in five parts next year
- MLB The Show 22 is coming to Nintendo Switch and Game Pass
- Ubisoft+ is coming to Xbox, while Rainbow Six goes to Game Pass