Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Phones
  3. Android
  4. Business
  5. Mobile
  6. News

Well, that was a quickie! Google sells Motorola

Add as a preferred source on Google
Motorola Moto G4
Simon Hill/Digital Trends

After a scant 29 months, the love affair between Google and Motorola has ended. On August 15, 2011, Google announced its intent to acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion. Today, it announced its intent to sell it to Lenovo for $2.91 billion. Yes, Google wanted Moto out so badly it took a $7 billion plus hit to be free.

As a part of the separation, Google will retain all of Motorola’s stuff (it’s patents, especially) and Lenovo has promised to take on Motorola’s name when they wed.

Recommended Videos

“The smartphone market is super competitive, and to thrive it helps to be all-in when it comes to making mobile devices,” said Google CEO Larry Page. “It’s why we believe that Motorola will be better served by Lenovo – which has a rapidly growing smartphone business and is the largest (and fastest-growing) PC manufacturer in the world. This move will enable Google to devote our energy to driving innovation across the Android ecosystem, for the benefit of smartphone users everywhere.”

Page went on to say that Lenovo has the expertise needed to scale Motorola and make it a “major player” in the Android ecosystem, and intends to keep Motorola’s distinct brand identity, just as it did with the ThinkPad brand it bought from IBM in 2005. Google will retain the “vast majority” of Motorola’s patents, which it will then use to “defend the entire Android ecosystem.”

We do not have sales figures of the Moto X or Moto G. From what we understand, sales for these phones started out slow, but they were beginning to take off. In a Google blog post, Page said that “both the Moto G and the Moto X are doing really well, and I’m very excited about the smartphone lineup for 2014.”

The deal has to be approved by the U.S. and China, which will take up to a year — if you recall, Google’s 2011 acquisition of Motorola wasn’t completed until May 22, 2012.

“So until then, it’s business as usual,” Page said. “I’m phenomenally impressed with everything the Motorola team has achieved and confident that with Lenovo as a partner, Motorola will build more and more great products for people everywhere.”

Jeffrey Van Camp
As DT's Deputy Editor, Jeff helps oversee editorial operations at Digital Trends. Previously, he ran the site's…
The Pixel 11 gives me three reasons to ditch my iPhone 17, and I’m afraid they’ll work
Google’s latest entry-level flagship makes my iPhone 17 look a lot less compelling.
Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone

As someone who reviews smartphones for a living, upgrading every year isn't optional. It's part of the job, and as an iPhone user, it's an easy call. This year, I expected to move from my baseline iPhone 17 to Apple's next baseline model, the iPhone 18. Except Apple might not even launch it this September.

Pegatron, one of Apple's suppliers, indicated on an August 12 earnings call that the standard iPhone 18 isn't coming next month (via Deccan Chronicle). Only the Pro, Pro Max, and the rumored foldable "Ultra" are expected, with the base model pushed to early 2027. That alone would derail my plans. But it's just one domino in a longer line for Apple: the Pixel 11.

Read more
Cracking your Galaxy Z Fold 8 Ultra screen could cost $639, so handle it carefully
Samsung's new numbers put an exact, and fairly painful, figure on just how much pricier.
Computer, Electronics, Tablet Computer

Cracking your foldable's screen has always been an expensive mistake, but Samsung just put an actual price on it this year, and believe me, it’s more expensive than I initially thought it would be. 

The company confirmed official repair pricing for the entire Galaxy Z Fold 8 lineup, and fixing the inner display alone can cost more than some budget phones do new. Given that more people are buying into the category, making these revised repair costs all the more important to know before you take the plunge.

Read more
I’ve waited far too long for Pixels to get this stupidly simple gesture
Just ship the double-tap-to-lock gesture already Google.
Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone

Every time I switch from any Android phone to a Pixel, there's one small gesture missing that always annoys me. From a modern Galaxy phone or even a device from Xiaomi, I can double-tap an empty part of the home screen and immediately turn the display off. Samsung has offered a double-tap to turn off the screen since Android 11. On a Pixel, I still have to reach for the power button.

To be fair, Google isn't the only offender, and Motorola's stock Android phones, like the Razr Fold, also skip such a basic feature. But this might be changing soon. Android Authority has discovered updated code strings inside Android 17 QPR2 Beta 3 pointing to Google’s long-in-development double-tap-to-sleep feature. Better still, Google appears to have expanded it beyond the lock screen and onto the home screen, which is exactly where I want it.

Read more