Unlike other pieces of old technology they’ve been presented with in the past, these kids, thankfully, knew that the product in question is an old camera (although one thought it was a GoPro). The cuteness starts when they attempt to turn it on, but the hilarity really begins when they have to load a roll of film (which one kid refers to as photo fluid). There are plenty of choice comments (“selfie time,” “I’ve always wanted to see film,” “why do things have to be so hard back then,” “who knew taking a picture could be such hard work,” “when did ‘real’ cameras come out when you didn’t have to do all that”), and worth a watch.
What we were impressed with, however, is that, while most of the kids weren’t familiar with the film camera, they knew enough about its history; they even figured out how to load the film and use the camera after some guidance. The best part is seeing the agony on their faces, when they were told they couldn’t review the pictures and would have to wait to have the film developed before they could see it. The video reveals a lot about current photography trends among kids, and while analog photography might be seeing a resurgence in certain circles, we doubt most of these kids will ever go back to film.
- The best cameras for kids for 2019
- The Tamagotchi Effect: How digital pets shaped the tech habits of a generation
- Amazon drops prices on Fire 7, Fire HD 8, Fire HD 10 Kids Edition tablets
- Xplora 3S impressions: A kids smartwatch for calls and location tracking
- The best tablets for kids, no matter their age or your budget