Despite the diversity of landscape offered by the 3.8 million square miles that is the United States, when it comes to popular photo opps, the list is pretty predictable. In New York, it’s the Empire State Building and in California, Disneyland. And while the two most populous states in the union attract tourists with their man-made wonders, Busbud found that the most popular Instagram moments overall were of “the numerous parks and geographic landmarks found across the nation.” Alaska’s Denali National Park, New Hampshire’s White Mountains, and Wyoming’s Yellowstone National Park are favorites, with other natural wonders also ranking high on the general list of Insta-tractions.
Then, of course, there are the beaches, where ‘grams of hotdogs and legs abound, as do pristine photos of white sandy beaches and sparkling blue waters. And it doesn’t matter if you’re looking for the Atlantic or the Pacific — their beaches were both strong draws. Just ask Floridians and Oregonians, both of whom chose the waterfront (South Beach and Cannon Beach, respectively) as their prime photography destinations.
Busbud did us a solid by also offering an interactive Instagram map of Canada, so you can see what our neighbors to the north enjoy memorializing. Again, it’s a lot of nature.
So if you’re planning your next roadtrip across America or into Canada, you now know what places other photo enthusiasts have frequented. And let’s be honest — these places are popular for a reason. So don’t skip over them just because they landed on Busbud’s list.
- Hotel chain offers an Instagram ‘sitter’ who will post photos for you
- Surfer uses custom hydrofoil surfboard to cross Hawaii’s most dangerous waters
- Want to fly to North Korea’s shiny new airport? No you don’t. But here’s how
- Baby role-play, or virtual kidnapping, is the most disturbing Instagram hashtag ever
- Missing 2013 already? View your most popular Instagram photos last year in a short video