If you have not gotten on the Vine bandwagon yet, today would be a good day to hop on – American Airlines is pawning off a free round-trip flight to London from Dallas-Fort Worth on its newest Boeing 777-300ER.
Twitter is a universe of many possibilities, and American Airlines is doing a good job embracing (and using) this fact to their advantage—first with the #newAmerican movement and now, the growing popularity of 6-second video sharing app Vine, which, conveniently, is owned by Twitter.
— American Airlines (@AmericanAir) March 1, 2013
Here are a couple of requirements you need to know before you get invested: You need to be at least 18 years old to participate, have a Twitter account, and know what a hashtag is and use #newAmerican with your entry. Once you’ve got all that nailed down, here are more things you need to do:
- If you haven’t already, go ahead and download the Vine app and sign up (right now it’s only available for iPhone or iPad users, but if you have neither of those, don’t fret—you still have a shot at winning! Proceed to step 3.)
- Once you’ve got the Vine app up-and-running, in a 6-second video clip (yeah, it seems too short a time to list all your admirable qualities, but you’d be surprised at what you can do when you’ve got a free trip abroad at stake), make your case and prove why you deserve to go on that free trip.
- As an alternative to posting a Vine clip, you can take a Twitpic that shows why you deserve to be on that plane to London. You definitely need to be more inventive using this method because all you have is a single frame to sell yourself.
- Before you publish your Vine clip or Twitpic, make sure you attach the #newAmerican hashtag and push it to Twitter.
That’s it! You have until 4pm CST on March 7, 2013 to post your entry. Anybody living in the 48 contiguous states can join, as well as those who live in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
Vine seems to be doing a pretty good job at dominating apps of the same, short-video nature, especially since it’s blanketed by the power and influence of Twitter. American Airlines may successfully get a lot of publicity by including Vine in their advertising strategies, but it was not the first airline to think of using the popular app: Virgin America was the first one to use Vine to its advantage, using it to propel their newly concluded #VXLongDistanceLove contest offering a free trip to Las Vegas. To date, there are at least four known airlines active on Vine: American Airlines, Virgin America, Delta, and Cathay Pacific.
It’s definitely worth six seconds of your time, the contest can’t help us but once again notice how brand-centric Vine has gotten. Although, if you end up winning the free trip, we’re willing to bet you’ll be a user for life.
- 11 best pre-flight safety videos worth switching your iPad off for
- 9 premium economy classes that let you stretch your legs and your dollar
- The five longest flights in the world make New York to London feel like a hop
- Are you #stoked or #overit? The complete guide to hashtags on social media
- This A.I. robot lawyer guarantees you the absolute cheapest airfares