Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Space
  3. News

Boeing’s troubled Starliner spacecraft to fly again

NASA hasn't given up on the beleaguered spacecraft.

Boeing's Starliner spacecraft docked at the space station.
Boeing's Starliner spacecraft docked at the space station. NASA

NASA and Boeing will try again with the troubled Starliner spacecraft, according to a statement issued by the U.S. space agency on Monday.

The Starliner has been years in development, and transported its first crew to the International Space Station (ISS) last year. But the mission was beset with problems, leaving two NASA astronauts — Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams — stuck at the orbital outpost for nearly nine months when they were only supposed to have stayed there for a matter of days.

Recommended Videos

Now, more than a year after the empty Starliner returned to Earth, and eight months after the crew returned home aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft, NASA has announced a modified contract with Boeing that slightly reduces the number of targeted crewed flights using the spacecraft.

The next Starliner flight — called Starliner-1 — will not carry any crew, and will instead transport cargo to the space station. It will also act as a test flight to evaluate the safety of the capsule for future astronaut flights to the ISS following upgrades made to the vehicle following last year’s challenging mission.

NASA and Boeing are targeting no earlier than April 2026 for the Starliner-1 flight. If that flight passes off without incident and the capsule’s critical systems are deemed to be in proper working order, the Starliner will fly up to three crew rotations to the ISS, the first of which could also take place in 2026.

“NASA and Boeing are continuing to rigorously test the Starliner propulsion system in preparation for two potential flights next year,” Steve Stich, manager of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, said in a post on NASA’s website on Monday. “This modification allows NASA and Boeing to focus on safely certifying the system in 2026, execute Starliner’s first crew rotation when ready, and align our ongoing flight planning for future Starliner missions based on station’s operational needs through 2030.”

The Boeing Starliner has had a difficult history, marked by multiple technical issues and delays.

Its inaugural uncrewed test flight in 2019 suffered a slew of software errors that prevented it from reaching the ISS, and resulted in years of work in a bid to put things right.

But the one and only crewed mission, which launched last year with Wilmore and Williams, also experienced issues that included valve malfunctions, thruster failures, and helium leaks. Despite efforts to put things right in orbit, NASA officials decided to bring the Starliner home empty over concerns that it wasn’t safe enough for a crewed trip.

The decision left Wilmore and Williams on the space station for nearly nine months when they’d expected to be there for a mere eight days.

Despite all the challenges, NASA and Boeing have stuck by the Starliner and are now giving it another chance in what will be closely watched mission.

Trevor Mogg
Contributing Editor
Not so many moons ago, Trevor moved from one tea-loving island nation that drives on the left (Britain) to another (Japan)…
NASA reveals date for attempted return flight of troubled Starliner
Boeing's Starliner spacecraft docked at the space station.

NASA is targeting Friday, September 6, for the return flight of Boeing Space’s troubled Starliner spacecraft, the agency revealed on Thursday.

The vehicle will come home from the International Space Station (ISS) nearly three months later than originally planned and without the crew that it arrived with. The flight, the outcome of which could determine the Starliner’s future, is expected to take about six hours, NASA said in a blog post on Thursday.

Read more
NASA answers all of your questions on the troubled Starliner mission
Boeing's Starliner spacecraft docked at the space station.

NASA has updated an FAQ page on its website with the latest information on the state of Boeing Space’s beleaguered Starliner mission.

With so much speculation surrounding the state of the spacecraft, the page offers a definitive guide on where the mission is at right now.

Read more
Cygnus spacecraft suffers issue on the way to the space station
Cygnus in orbit.

Northrop Grumman’s Cygnus spacecraft successfully launched atop a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Sunday, but a little while later, NASA reported an issue with the uncrewed vehicle as it headed to the International Space Station (ISS) with 8,200 pounds of supplies.

“Shortly after launch, the spacecraft missed its first burn slated for 11:44 a.m. due to a late entry to burn sequencing,” NASA said in a message on its website on Sunday.

Read more