But that’s exactly how Brit Adam King proposed to girlfriend Lucy Rogers last week, and a video of the event has quickly become an Internet sensation, getting nearly 800,000 views on YouTube in just a few days.
Thanks to some meticulous planning by 35-year-old Adam, as well as the help of his choir, the Adam Street Singers, Lucy had absolutely no idea what was about to happen as she travelled home from work last week on a north London train.
The start of the video shows a familiar enough train scene – passengers are reading newspapers or lost in their phones. Then someone starts to sing. And then someone else joins in. Within a short time, the entire Adam Street Singers choir is in full flow, belting out Withers’ timeless hit.
It ends with Adam on one knee asking Lucy to marry him. Once she’d stopped crying (or was she laughing?), she said yes. This must have come as a great relief to Adam because for a moment it’s hard to tell which way it’s going to go.
“It was amazing. When people started singing I didn’t realise it was for me,” Lucy, 26, told the BBC. “We’ve been going out for a long time but I didn’t realise he was going to propose.”
The video (you can watch it below) of the proposal was emailed to friends and quickly became a viral hit.
- Here is our list of the best movies on Netflix right now
- Miles of music: The 55 best songs about cars, driving, and road trips
- Raphael Saadiq talks about his new album, Oscar nomination, and ‘Black Panther’
- The best Netflix original movies
- Even their mothers might have trouble telling these celebrity lookalikes apart