It was the unthinkable, Microsoft laying people off for the first time in its history. But earlier this year the company announced that some 5,000 people would be losing their jobs as it struggled to reduce costs.
Now it’s making the second round of job cuts that should bring the numbers up to the announced figure, with employees affected all over the globe.
It might not even be the last of the layoffs, according to a leaked e-mail from chief executive Steve Ballmer:
"As we move forward, we will continue to closely monitor the impact of the economic downturn on the company and if necessary, take further actions on our cost structure including additional job eliminations."
"Because our success at Microsoft has always been the direct result of the talent, hard work, and commitment of our people, eliminating positions is hard."
- The best Netflix original series you can stream right now
- The best PS5 games for 2021
- The best VPN services for 2021
- Surface Pro 8: Everything we know about Microsoft’s next flagship 2-in-1
- The best no-log VPN for 2021